P.O. Box 243
Exemption for CAA-Norway licensed pilots from Commission Regulation (EU) 1178/2011 Operating Aircraft not certified to Conduct PBN approach
Referring to AIC-I 03/18.
Exemption for Civil Aviation Authority - Norway licensed pilots from Commission Regulation (EU) 1178/2011 as amended, Article 4a, Performance Based Navigation Requirements for the Aircrews, Operating Aircraft not certified to Conduct RNP Approaches.
1) The Civil Aviation Authority - Norwegian (CAA-N), on behalf of Norway and pursuant to article 14(4) of Regulation (EU) No. 216/2008 (the EU Basic Regulation), exempts pilots holding CPL/MPL/ATPL licences and instrument ratings from the requirements of Commission Regulation (EU) 1178/2011 as amended, Article 4a, but only when operating aircraft, on behalf of Operators who are operating under EU Part Air Ops, that are not certified to conduct RNP Approaches.
Such aircraft are limited in respect of PBN to operations in RNAV5 (B-RNAV) and RNAV1 (P-RNAV) ie. PBN enroute flying. However, with effect from 25 August 2018 pilots flying such routes are mandated to hold full PBN privileges which require a proficiency check of a RNP Approach. The result is an anomaly between the pilot privileges required and the aircraft capability.
The exemption is intended to cover the gap of diverging applicability dates within Commission Regulations (EU) No. 1178/2011 and is therefore time-limited from the date of entry into force on 25 August 2018, until 24 August 2020.
2) Norwegian Operators are required to register such aircraft types with their CAA-N Flight Operations Inspector, together with their safety case for use of this exemption and proposed action plan to make them able to conduct RNP approaches, by 25th of August 2020 at the latest.
3) All Operators should contact the respective NAA’s of all the licence holders that they employ to request a similar exemption.
4) This exemption is subject to the following conditions:
a. This exemption is only applicable to the holders of an EU Part-FCL licence, whose State of Issue is Norway.
b. The exemption only applies to flight crew operating aircraft that are not currently certified to undertake RNP approaches.
5) This exemption has effect from 25 August 2018 until 24 August 2020, both dates inclusive, unless previously revoked. From 25 August 2020 all holders of an instrument rating (IR) have to comply with the PBN requirements.